Distance Credential Program

All core VI courses are available via synchronous video participation using the Zoom video conferencing system. Other non-VI courses can be taken on-campus, online, or at another campus via course substitutions. Required face-to-face instruction includes:

  • 2 weeks during one summer
  • 1 or 2 days during the fall semester (1 day each for SPED 749 [Eye class] and SPED 754 [Literary braille]; or 1 day for SPED 751 [Instructional Methods])
  • 1 or 2 days during the spring semester (1 day each for SPED 750 [Assessment] and SPED 758 [Nemeth]; or 1 day for SPED 753)

return to top


Visit the Department of Special Education website for program application deadlines.

return to top


The CSU Concurrent Enrollment Program is available to students who wish to take courses at other CSUs while taking the Interactive Video courses at SF State during Spring and Fall Semester.The program requires that students complete at least one term at SF State. Then students may enroll at SF State and another CSU campus up to 15 units. Students pay full time fees at SF State and receive residence credit for all course work at other CSUs. (There is no part-time enrollment with the Concurrent Enrollment Program)  

return to top


1. Log on to registration page in library web site to get a PIN number. You must be a registered student at SF State to obtain a PIN number. Go to the Library Account Login/Sign up page to set up your PIN number. Once you have your PIN number you can search SF State's data bases from a remote site.

2. Once you Login and enter your new PIN, you will be given some search options.

3. If you have questions or problems with your library search, Athena Nazario, an SF State librarian will help you. She can be reached at anazario@sfsu.edu.

return to top


1. Is there a special phone line for distance students, and what are appropriate questions for this line? Regarding university procedures for this program, Ellayne Hurlbut in the Registrar's Office is the contact person.  Her direct phone number is: (415) 338-7231.  Her email is: ehurlbut@sfsu.edu. If she is unavailable, students may call the Registrar's Office switchboard at (415) 338-2350. For advising questions specifically related to the Department of Special Education, contact (415) 338-1161.For questions pertaining to specific courses in your program or course work leading to a credential or Master's degree, contact your area advisor.

2. Is there a quick reference list of phone numbers and e-mail addresses available to help distance students? The phone numbers above will be the best numbers for students to call to get quick and concise information.

3. How do I register if I miss the touch tone registration dates? Every evening there is open registration for eligible students to add classes. They can call Touch Tone between 7 p.m. and midnight Monday through Friday and on Sunday from 8 a.m. to midnight.

return to top

4. What is the exact procedure to enroll concurrently at SF State and another CSU campus? The student must fill out a Concurrent Enrollment form, which is available on each CSU campus in the Registrar's Office. Ellayne Hurlbut (see #1 above) can provide a set of forms for Amanda Lueck to distribute to students, or students may request them individually from Ellayne. Each student must turn in the form to his/her Home campus (i.e., the campus where they are admitted—in this  case, SF State) to certify eligibility and residency status. Once the form is certified and signed by SF State, it should be turned into the Host campus (i.e., the other CSU campus where the student is taking classes). The Host campus will put the student into its student database so he/she  can register for classes, get a photo ID, and use the Host campus library. Fees are paid at the Home campus, SF State.

5. Who signs the form at the SF State campus for concurrent enrollment? Can students send the forms to Ellayne Hurlbut? The concurrent enrollment forms are signed by the Registrar at SF State. Ellayne works in the Registrar's Office at SF State. She will use our signature stamp with the Registrar's signature after she has verified that a student is eligible and in good standing to be in the concurrent enrollment program.

6. Who do I mail my concurrent enrollment forms to at SFSU? Ellayne Hurlbut, Registrar's Office, SF State,1600 Holloway Ave., San Francisco, CA 94132. In case time is a problem, students can also fax their certified form to the Registrar's Office (ATTN: Ellayne Hurlbut) at: (415) 338-0588.

return to top

7. How do I obtain course substitution approval from SF State's Department of Special Education for courses taken at another university to meet credential or Master's requirements?

• Check with your area advisor to determine which SF State courses are required for your program.

• If you are planning to take a course at another university to meet a SF State course requirement, it is strongly suggested that you have that course pre-approved by the appropriate person before taking it.

• Your area advisor can approve courses taken in your disability-specific area (e.g., VI). To do this, provide your advisor with a copy of your transcript with the completed course and a course description from the course syllabus or university bulletin. Your advisor can also pre-approve courses in your disability-specific area. Provide your advisor with a course description for pre-approval. Full approval will be given with the provision of a transcript showing successful course completion.

• Generic special education courses or elementary education courses required for the credential or Master's degree in Special Education must be approved or pre-approved by the Department Chair. To obtain this, follow the instructions on the Petition for Course Substitution form available from the Department of Special Education, BH 154, (415) 338-1161. This requires a letter addressed to the Chairperson, Department of Special Education with the following information:

1.  The name and course number of the SF State course under consideration.

2.  The name and course number of the course to be substituted from another university.

3.  The year and semester the substituted course was taken if applicable (This is not necessary for pre-approval.)

4.  A description of the course to be substituted from the course syllabus or university bulletin.

5.  A copy of your transcript showing successful course completion (This is not required for pre-approval but is required for final approval.)

6.  Your name, credential program area, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address.

7.  Your disability specific area of study (e.g., Visual Impairments).8.  IMPORTANT: send a copy of this letter to your area advisor as well.

return to top

Ellayne Hurlbut at SF State will have a list of CSU coordinators for other special programs and can give the name & phone number to students if they need help.

9. What are the regulations for eligibility for financial aid? (e.g., for Master's vs. credential candidates) Students can receive financial aid if they are conditionally admitted or classified master's degree students or if they are admitted to a credential program. Master's students must take at least 4 units to qualify for part-time financial aid, 8 units for full-time aid. Credential students must take at least 6 units to qualify for part-time financial aid, 12 units to qualify for full-time financial aid. If this involves concurrent enrollment classes, note that students may not receive aid from more than one school for the same term. The financial aid offices at both campuses must complete and authorize a concurrent enrollment agreement to ensure that only one campus is paying financial aid for units taken at both campuses.

10. How do I arrange for financial aid if I am waiting for concurrent enrollment to come through? Students receive financial aid only at the Home campus, i.e., the campus where they are admitted–in this case, SF State. If the student is concurrently enrolled at another campus, SF State needs an agreement with that school's financial aid office to ensure that only SF State is awarding and disbursing aid. A student cannot receive any money until the concurrent enrollment at the other campus has been confirmed.

11. How do I register for courses in a semester in which I am only taking classes at a CSU Host campus and not at SFSU? Since you are not taking any courses at your Home campus (SFSU), you are considered to be a "visitor" at the Host CSU campus and must use the CSU intrasystem visitor registration process. Ellayne Hurlbut can help you with the forms you must file.

12. Can I be enrolled in two credential programs, one at SF State and one at another CSU? No. As stated in the 2001-2002 SF State Bulletin (page 92) a student may not be admitted at two campuses concurrently with two separate degree objectives.

return to top

13. How do I get a SF State student ID card? Once a student is in the University Student database, they may go to the One Stop Student Services Center & have a student Photo ID taken at the ONE CARD office (Student Services 103).  The student must provide a photo ID. This SF State student ID card will also allow them to use the SF State library. Cards are issued to all currently enrolled students with no charge for the initial card. The replacement fee for lost or stolen cards is $2. For more information, call (415) 338-3619 or send an email to onecard@sfsu.edu. We are investigating possibilities for providing ID cards for students who cannot get to campus, but so far there is no alternative to the instructions above.

14. How do I get a SF State library card? See question #12 above. Once you obtain your student ID card, it can be used to access all library services. Bring it with you whenever you want to check out materials. Even without an SF State ID card, SF State students can access SF State Library resources. In addition to your student number, you must establish a personal identification number (PIN) for library purposes. For further information and to establish a PIN, go to the J Paul Leonard Library Home Page and click on Library Account/PIN.

15. Can I use my library card at other CSUs? Yes, as long as you are a CSU student, you can use your library card at any CSU library.

16. Can I use the online library search facilities at SFSU? Yes, you can use any online computer at SF State or anywhere to search for library materials.

17. Can I check out library books from the SF State library from a distance? Electronic materials are available online, but you must go to the SF State library to check out printed materials if they are not also available at your Host CSU campus.

return to top

18. What do I do if there is a registration problem, and I cannot come to campus to resolve it? First call Ellayne Hurlbut (see #1 above). If she is not available, call the Touch Tone Help Line (415) 338-7000.

19. What do I do if I am disabled and require assistance from the Disability Resource Center? What do I do if I require local readers due to my disability? In order to receive services from DRC, students must come in and register with the office located in Student Services 110 (Monday—Friday 9:00-4:00) (415-338-2472 voice/TDD). Disability verification must be provided when registering with DRC. Students may be eligible for one or more of these services depending on the specific nature of their disabilities: admission assistance; priority registration; note-taking assistance; parking; on campus shuttle; orientation and mobility; sign language interpreters; real-time captioning; assistive listening devices; books on tape; large print and Braille transcription; lab assistance; readers. Also, DRC will provide eligible students with help understanding and managing access to other campus resources.

20. How do I obtain necessary paperwork from a distance to complete my teacher credentialing and MA requirements from the College of Education? Please visit the website for the Department of Special Education to download all necessary forms at http://www.sfsu.edu/~spedcd/

1. Student Teaching Application Form:  This must be obtained from the Department of Special Education by the end of January for Fall semester student teaching and by the middle of September for Spring semester student teaching.  Contact the Department of Special Education, Burk Hall 154, (415) 338-1161.  Send this completed form to your area advisor for approval. Your area advisor will submit it to the Department of Special Education.

2.Student Teaching: To qualify for student teaching, you must provide evidence of the following:

  • CBEST passage.
  • Subject Matter Requirement completion (exam or other subject matter completion evidence).
  • Fingerprint clearance (xerox copy of prior credential or certificate of clearance application).
  • Evidence of US Constitution requirement completion (course approved with transcript showing completion of course)
  • Evidence of courses completed (from transcripts on file with the department).
  • Additional materials required by the department.

return to top

21. Who is my credentials analyst? Myla L. Marcelino-Adeva serves students whose last names begin with A-K. Claudia Murcia-Chamorro serves students whose last names begin with L-Z.

22. How do I apply for a credential? The application can be obtained upon request from the Credentials Analyst at (415) 338-1758. A credential is obtained with verification of employment in the credential area.

23. Do I need a RICA if I already hold a California multiple or single subject credential? For those students who already hold a California multiple or single subject credential, the RICA may not be necessary. Evidence of completion of the RICA is required to obtain a Preliminary Credential. Please contact the Credentials Analyst at (415) 338-1758 for more information. Myla L. Marcelino-Adeva,  serves students whose last names begin with A-K. Claudia Murcia-Chamorro, serves students whose last names begin with L-Z.

24. Is there a contact in the Bookstore where I can learn whether all books are in stock? Yes, students can call the Bookstore, textbook department, at (415) 338-7054 to check on the status of a textbook, or visit their website at http://sfsubookstore.com/catalog/ Textbooks can be ordered online.

return to top

25. What do I do if a book is not in the Bookstore and I need it for a class? You can call the textbook department (415-338-7054) to find out when the book will become available.  Also contact the course instructor for advice.  Faculty might be able to lend a book or make a copy of a selected chapter.

26. How far in advance should I order books from the Bookstore online for my classes? If the books are in stock, it can take between 1—2 weeks from the order date for delivery.

27. For summer sessions, what are the dormitory regulations? On-campus housing for SF State students is usually available in double-occupancy residence hall rooms, on a first-come first-served basis. A choice of 3 meal plans (double occupancy room + 21 meal plan,15 meal plan or 10 meal plan) was required for all summer semester residents. As arrangements may vary each Summer, look for further information and updates on the SF State University Housing web page. You can also contact Housing and Residential Services by email or by telephone at (415) 338-1067.

28.  For summer sessions, what university facilities are available for use and what are the hours of the operation? The quiet study room in the library is often open during library summer operating hours. Visit the SF State Library Hours web page for up-to-date library hours. The study and lounge area in the Student Center maybe available. Please check hours. Recreational facilities available through the Kinesiology Department included the swimming pool, indoor basketball courts, running track, and tennis courts. Current information on recreational hours is available on the SF State Campus Recreation website.

29. For summer sessions, what computer facilities are provided on campus, and how available are they for students to work on? A complete listing of these labs, including locations restrictions on use, and hours of availability is on the Division of Information Technology/Campuswide Computer Labs web page.

30. What if I have a disability? Please contact the Disability Resource Center web site for information or call them at 415-338-2472.

return to top



Chancellor Hotel
433 Powell Street

The Chancellor has been family owned since 1917. Located on Powell Street at Union Square (next to Border’s Bookstore), the Chancellor offers a full service restaurant and a café. There is parking and valet services for a fee. Room rates begin at $109 single/double occupancy. All rooms are plus tax. There are certain times during the year when, due to special events, rooms will be charged at market rate. All terms and conditions are subject to availability.
Hampton Inn
2700 Junipero Serra Blvd.
Daly City
Recently built, the Hampton Inn is located on Junipero Serra Blvd. just two mile south of the campus. All rooms include telephone with complimentary local calls, data ports, cable television and hairdryers. Free parking on property, continental breakfast and heated pool are also included. Room rates begin at $99 a night, based upon single or double occupancy plus tax. All terms and conditions are subject to availability.

Handlery Union Square Hotel
351 Geary St.
San Francisco
The Handlery Union Square Hotel has been family owned and operated since 1948. Located at Union Square in the heart of the city, the cable car stops at the corner and all major department stores, theatres and restaurant are within one block. Room rates begin at $158 single/double occupancy.  All rooms are plus tax. There are certain times during the year when, due to special Events, rooms will be charged at market rate. All terms and conditions are subject to availability.
SFSU Hospitality Suites (walking distance from campus)
Availability and arrangements: Contact Kristin Mueller in Conference Services at 415-405-4459 or email to: hsuites@sfsu.edu.(Very limited dates of availability)
* You may check the public transportation option and availability from any hotel to the campus by visiting www.511.org.

return to top